Lets talk about Lentils. Most people seem to turn their noses up at lentils and dismiss them as hippy food. Ok yes they can be a bit drab if not dressed up a little and I have the perfect recipe for that right here. Recently I have been craving tacos like you wouldn't believe and after a seriously disappointed visit to a Mexican restaurant I had heard good things about in Cambridge I decided to make my own again. Don't get me wrong there is nothing better than a taco piled high with slow cooked pork (Deepa just made some and I can't wait to have a go) but you do have to have the patience of letting the pork cook away for hours without just digging in halfway through cooking. These tacos make a great weekday dinner and are ready in about 30 minutes you can dress them up whichever way you like best.
You will need-
Recipe roughly adapted from Curvy Carrot
- 1 pack of mini tortilla
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed at least 3 times
- 1/2 pack of taco seasoning
- 1 +1/4 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
For the extras
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Salsa, I made mine by combining chopped cherry tomatoes, 1 avocado, 1/2 sweet onion, 1 clove of garlic, 1/4 of a peel cucumber chopped into chunks mixed together with lime juice and fresh coriander & seasoning to taste.
- Your favourite chilli sauce, mine's Cholula if you're wondering!
To make the lentil filling heat a little oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and then add the onions, garlic and a little salt and cook till the onion has softened a little. Next add the taco seasoning and stir to coat the onions. Tip in the lentils and stir before adding the stock. Mix everything really well then lower the heat, place a lid on your pan and simmer for around 20 minutes or until the lentils have softened. Check on them every 10 minutes or so and give them a little stir. Once they are soft remove the lid and let them simmer for a few more minutes to allow the mixture to thicken then take of the heat and leave to sit for a couple of minutes.