I have been watching the new series Two Greedy Italians and discovered this recipe in the first episode. I always assumed dumplings and gnocchi were kind of tricky to make but after the success with these I am looking forward to giving gnocchi a go. They are very similar to gnocchi but just a bit heavier as there is no potato in them.
You will need-
- 200g tip 00 flour, plus extra for dusting
- 225g ricotta
- 3 egg yolks
- 30g freshly grated parmesan
- A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
For the tomato sauce
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves cut into thick slices
- 1 chilli sliced - remove seeds if you don't like things too hot
- 2 x 400g tinned plum tomatoes - chop each tomato in half (I used a tin of good quality chopped tomatoes)
- Basil leaves
First you start with the dumplings. Get all your dry ingredients in a bowl and then add your ricotta and egg yolks and mix till well incorporated. Next place your dough on a floured surface and knead for a few minutes.
Cut your dough in half and then those halves in half again.
Now roll those quarters into thin sausages
..and then cut those into 2cm wide dumplings
In a saucepan heat your oil then add the garlic and chilli. Cook for 1 minute.
Add your tinned tomatoes and then bring to the boil. Now simmer for 5 minutes. In the meantime get a large pan of salted water boiling and add your dumplings. Cook them for 3-4 minutes, they will float when they're cooked. Remove from with a slotted spoon and add to your tomato sauce.
Serve onto a plate and sprinkle with the torn basil leaves. Enjoy